Organic Horticulture Specialist - Online
Whether you are already a landscape professional, just beginning your education, or simply learning for personal enjoyment, this course will give you the knowledge you need to become a better gardener. You will receive a thorough introduction to the science and practice of organic horticulture, facilitating a profound shift in ecological awareness.
Going way beyond the idea of pesticide and fertilizer product substitution, you will understand the concepts of landscape health management as opposed to pest management, building a holistic decision making framework for creating and maintaining vibrantly healthy gardens and landscapes, including turf.
This course prepares you to
- Grow fabulous, healthy gardens
- Gain essential skills to start or enhance your business in the rapidly growing organic land care industry sector
- Write the SOUL Organic Accreditation exam for land care professionals
- Earn generous continuing education credits for landscape professionals to maintain industry certifications (ISA, CNLA, BCSLA)
- Become involved in SOUL (Society for Organic Urban Land Care) and share your knowledge with your community through workshops, talks and other creative ways
The on-line version of this course integrates reading, quizzes and discussions with practical, hands-on assignments. Everyone is welcome, no previous experience is required.
Depending on registrations, we may combine students with the Organic Master Gardener course to keep class sizes manageable! The curriculum is identical, but the audience is usually more diverse in the Organic Master Gardener course. Some of the discussions can be quite eye-opening for landscape professionals.
To receive a Certificate of Completion students must contribute to all on-line discussions and satisfactorily complete all assignments and quizzes.
This course partially satisfies the requirements of:
- Gaia College: Core course for Diploma in Organic Land Care
- Royal Roads: Core course for Joint Royal Roads/ Gaia College Diploma in Organic Land Care
Read the Course Outline
If you have any questions about studying online with Gaia College, please see our FAQs page.
This course has given me a much deeper understanding of garden and agroecosystems, how damaging conventional growing methods have been, and how a holistic organic approach offers many advantages, benefits and opportunities. Particularly, I'm grateful for the way you and the other instructors presented the practice of organic gardening within the context of a bigger picture, including ethical considerations and providing important reminders of the limits of the science.