This course provides an overview of plant and ecosystem relationships, through a brief review of ecosystem ecology, botany and plant physiology as it relates to choosing and planting a variety of native plants.
The plant identification component emphasizes native landscape plants including annuals, perennials, shrubs, deciduous and evergreen trees which are commonly used in the ornamental landscape for the temperate and colder northern hemisphere.
Here are some of the topics you will explore:
- Interdependence within ecosystems
- The meaning of "native"
- Native ecosystems and plant communities
- Formation of specialized ecosystems
- Ecology, politics & economics of invasive plants
- Creating wildlife habitat with native plants
Read the Course Outline
If you have any questions about studying online with Gaia College, please see our FAQs page.